Professor & Chair, Adult Education & Higher Education Leadership
Oregon State University, USA
Term of Office: 2005 – 2014
- Ph.D., 1974, University of Michigan , Psychology
- M.A., 1973, University of Michigan , Psychology
- B.A., 1960, College of Wooster , Psychology
Selected Work Experience
- 2008-Present: Professor & Chair, Adult Education and Higher Education Leadership, College of Education, Oregon State University
- 2005-2008: Associate Professor, Adult Education and Higher Education Leadership, College of Education , Oregon State University
- 2002 – 2005: Assistant Professor, Adult Education and Higher Education Leadership, new School of Education , Oregon State University
- 2002 – 2005, Editor, Human Resource Development Quarterly
- 1998 – 2001 Director of Research, AchieveGlobal, Inc., San Francisco
- 1984 – 1997 Director of Research Services, Zenger-Miller, Inc., San Jose
- 1973 – 1984 Senior Research Scientist, American Institutes for Research, Palo Alto
National and International Awards
- Research Article of the Year-for 2004, American Society for Training and Development (ASTD), May 2005: Russ-Eft, D. (2004). Customer service competencies: A global look. Human
- Resource Development International, 7, 21
- Outstanding HRD Scholar Award, Academy of Human Resource Development, March 2000
- Times Mirror Editor of the Year (Research), May 1996
- Award for one of the top 10 papers of the 1996, 2000, and 2002 AHRD Conferences.
University and Community Awards
- U.S. Public Health Fellow, 1969-1972, University of Michigan
- Departmental Honors, Psychology, 1969, College of Wooster , Ohio
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1968, College of Wooster , Ohio
- Evaluator Competencies
- Instructional Design Competency Development Team
- Evaluation in organizations
- Human resource development
- Learning and training
Selected Books and Book Chapters
- Russ-Eft, D., Bober, M., de la Teja, I., Foxon, M., & Koszalka, T. A. (2008). Evaluato competencies: Standards for the practice of evaluation in organizations. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.r
- Russ-Eft, D., & Preskill, H. (2009). Evaluation in organizations: A systematic approach to enhancing learning, performance, and change (2nd ed.). Cambridge , MA : Perseus.
- Gupta, K., Sleezer, C., & Russ-Eft, D. (2007). A practical guide to needs assessment (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Pfeiffer.
- Preskill, H. & Russ-Eft, D. (2005). Building evaluation capacity: 72 activities for teaching and training. Thousand Oaks , CA : Sage.
- Preskill, H., & Russ-Eft, D. (2003). A framework for reframing HRD evaluation practice and research. In A. M. Gilley, L. Bierema, & J. Callahan (Eds.) Critical issues in HRD. Cambridge , MA.: Perseus.
- Russ-Eft, D., Hurson, K., Pangilinan, R., & Egherman, T. (2002). Web-based leadership training: Determining success factors and effectiveness. In C. M. Sleezer, T. L. Wentling, & R. L.
- Cude (Eds.) Human resource development and information technology: Making global connections. Kluwer: Boston .
- Russ-Eft, D. & Brennan, K. (2001). Leadership competencies: A study of leaders at every level in an organization. In J. Raven & J. Stephenson (Eds.), Competence in the learning society. New York : Peter Lang.
Selected Refereed Journal Articles
- Taylor, P., Russ-Eft, D., & Taylor, H. (2009). Gilding the outcome by tarnishing the past: Inflationary biases in retrospective pretests. American Journal of Evaluation, 30, 31-43.
- Taylor, P., Russ-Eft, D., Taylor, H. (2009). The transfer of management training from alternative perspectives. Journal of Applied Psychology, 94,104-121.
- Russ-Eft, D., & Preskill, H. (2008). Improving the quality of evaluation participation: A meta-evaluation. Human Resource Development International, 11, 35-50.
- Taylor , P., Russ-Eft, D., & Chan, D. (2005). The effectiveness of behavior modeling training across settings and features of study design. Journal of Applied Psychology, 90, 692–709.
- Russ-Eft, D., & Preskill, H. (2005). In search of the holy grail: ROI evaluation in HRD. Advances in Developing Human Resources. 71-85.
- Russ-Eft, D. (2004). Ethics in a global world: An oxymoron? Evaluation and Program Planning, 27, 349-356.
- Russ-Eft, D., Atwood, R., & Egherman, T. (2002). Use and non-use of evaluation results: A case study of environmental influences in the private sector. American Journal of Evaluation, 23, 19-31.
- Russ-Eft, D. (2002). A typology of training design and work environment factors affecting workplace learning and transfer. Human Resource Development Review, 1, 45-65.
Oregon State University
College of Education
411 Education Hall
Corvallis, OR 97331