Co-founder and chief consultant
Shanghai Performance Improvement Management Consulting Co., Ltd.
Term of Office: 2011 – Present
George has more than twenty years of total working experience in both China and the United States. He is specialized in human performance technology, talent strategy, corporate university, instructional system design, curriculum development, e-Learning, and organizational development.
George studied and worked in the U.S. for many years. With practices in learning and development, human performance improvement, and e-Learning, he helped organizations solve capability problems and brought value to their growth, especially in a fast-growing economies. He has served in various world-class companies such as IBM, Ericsson, HayGroup, and Qwest. He has been the lead on a variety of projects with various responsibilities in both countries, and possesses verifiable track record of creating proven results. He possesses the record of being the first Chinese to become Certified Performance Technologist (CPT) jointly by ISPI and ASTD in August 2003.
As one of the main experts in the learning and development fields in China, he tries to bring fundamental theories, research findings, and best practices in training and development to fast developing economies. As the main translator and strategist, he introduced ASTD Handbook for Workplace Learning Professionals to China, which is the country’s first comprehensive training and development book, published by Jiangsu People’s Press and Training magazine of China in October 2011. He is also the main translator of ISPI’s Improving Performance in the Workplace, April 2015. George also translated China’s first e-Learning book in 2003. George is also a frequent speaker at ASTD, ISPI, and many other conferences and summits each year both in China and other countries.
George also serves as a learning and development consultant to various companies in China, and an experienced coach to the head of corporate universities and training functions to various organizations. He is also a member of the Expert Committee to China’s Training magazine.
George served as President for ISPI Minnesota Chapter for two years in 2001 and 2002. He is also a long-time member of ASTD and ISPI. He was also selected to receive the 2012 Distinguished Alumni Award of Saint Cloud State University, USA.
George holds a Master of Science Degree in Human Resources Development and Training from Saint Cloud State University in USA, 1999; a Bachelor of Arts Degree in British & American Language and Literature from Nankai University in China, 1991. He also had Courses in Software Design & Technical Communications at University of Saint Thomas in USA, 2001. He is now also a doctoral degree candidate at East China Normal University.
- 2008-2010, Learning & Knowledge Leader, and Learning & Development Leader, IBM Global Delivery
- 2006-2008, Senior Capability Consulting Manager, Ericsson China Academy
- 2005-2006, Senior Consultant, HayGroup, Beijing, China
- 1999-2005, Senior Instructional Designer, e-Learning Technologist, & Training Manager, Qwest Communications International (USA)
- 2001 & 2002, President, ISPI Minnesota Chapter
- Co-creator, GPS-IE Performance Improvement Double Navigation System.
- Co-founder and chief consultant, Shanghai Performance Improvement Management Consulting Co., Ltd. (www.GPS-IE.com).
- Director, IBSTPI.org (International Board of Standards for Training, Performance and Instruction).
- Program Leader, Training Manager Certification, People’s University of China.
- Member of the Expert Committee, China’s Training magazine.
- Expert advisor to EDP (executive development program) of East China Normal University.
- The first certified course facilitator of ATD’s Designing Learning in China.
- Coach of learning & development to various enterprises in China.
Key Publications & Credentials
- Main translator, Improving Performance in the Workplace (ISPI) in Chinese, April 2015.
- Main translator & strategist, ASTD Handbook for Workplace Learning Professionals, November 2011. China’s first comprehensive training guide book.
- Distinguished Alumni Award 2012, St. Cloud State University, USA
- Instructional Technology series, Training Magazine, China, Jan-Aug 2010
- First CPT (Certified Performance Technologist) from China, ISPI, Aug 2003
- Translator, A Quick Guide to e-Learning, Jan 2004 CITIC, China’s first e-Learning book
Training manager competency revision committee, and business planning committee.
George Limin Gu
Shanghai Performance Improvement Management Consulting Co., Ltd