Associate Professor Instructional Design, Development and Evaluation
Syracuse University, USA
Term of Office: 2006 – 2014
- Ph.D. Instructional Systems (1999) Pennsylvania State University
- M.S. Instructional Technology (1985) Rochester Institute of Technology
- B.S. Educational Psychology/Biology (1984) St. John Fisher College
- A.A.S. Natural Science and Math (1982) Monroe Community College
Selected Work Experience
- Associate Professor Instructional design Development and Evaluation, Syracuse University (2001-Present)
- Assistant Professor Instructional Systems, Penn State University (1999-2001)
- Instructional Technoogy Consultant, Training Support Services 1995-1996
- Director of Product and Technical Development, Blessing/White Inc. 1993-1995
- Manager of Applied Training and Communications, Pepsi Cola Company, 1991-1993
- Education Manager/Master Trainer, Arthur Andersen Center of Professional Development, 1985-1991
- AECT Design and Development Division Showcase Outstanding and innovative project to improve human performance: Exploring Curiosity Creek (Koszalka, Arnone, Gonzalez) 2009
- Research paper of excellence Global Chinese Computer and Communication Conference ( Koszalka, T., Wu, Y., & Davidson, B.) 2007
- Research and Development Project Award Eisenhower National Clearinghouse for Mathematics and Science Education (ENC) awarded website “Kids as Airborne Mission Scientists (KaAMS)” as Digital Dozen award (Koszalka, Grabowski) 2003
- Research and Development Project Award Light Span Study Web Academic Excellence Award for “Web-Enhanced Learning Environment Strategies” web site. (http://www.ed.psu.edu/nasa/welessite/weles.htm) (Koszalka, Grabowski) 2002
- Evaluator Competency Development Team
- Instructional Design Competency Development Team
Instructional systems design and education technology integration focusing on the systemic use and impact of emerging technologies on teaching and life-long learning, specific focus on the integration of instruction, learning, and technology.
- Russ-Eft, D., Bober, M., de la Teja, I., Foxon, M., & Koszalka, T. (2008). Evaluator Competencies: Standards for the Practice of Evaluation in Organizations. Jossey-Bass
- Majumdar, S. (ed.), Anderson, J., Wai-Kong, N., Barnhart, S., Majundar, S., Koszalka, T., & Zhi-ting, Z. (2005). Regional Guidelines on Teacher Development for Pedagogy-Technology Integration. Bangkok, Thailand: UNESCO Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education. http://www.unescobkk.org/fileadmin/user_upload/ict/Regional_Guideline.pdf
- Koszalka, T. (1999). Teaching with electronic human relations areas files (eHRAF): A teaching module for professors of anthropology. Washington, D.C.: General Anthropology Division – American Anthropology Association Publications.
Selected Book Chapters
- Koszalka, T. & Epling, J. (in-press). A Methodology for Assessing Elicitation of Knowledge in Complex Domains: Identifying Conceptual Representations of Ill-structured Problems in Medical Diagnostics. In D. Ifenthaler, P. Pirnay-Drummer, & N.M. (eds.). Computer-Based Diagnostics and Systematic Analysis of Knowledge. New York: Springer,
- Koszalka, T. & Olson, B. (2009). Transforming a Pediatrics Lecture Series to online instruction: A new blended online-classroom pediatrics residency lecture series. In A.A. Lazakidou & K.M. Siassiakos (eds.). Handbook of Research on Distributed Medical Informatics and E-Health. Hershey, PA: IGI Global, 410-424.
- Sims, R., & Koszalka, T. (2008). Competencies for the new-age instructional designer. In J. M. Spector, M. D. Merrill, J. J. G. van Merriënboer, & M. P. Driscoll (eds.). Handbook of Research on Educational Communications and Technology. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. 569-575.
- Grabowski, B., Kim, Y., & Koszalka, T. (2004). Toward a model for web-enhanced pbl. In T. Oon Seng (ed.). Enhancing thinking through problem-based learning: International perspectives. Singapore: Thomson Learning.
Selected Refereed Articles
- Koszalka, T., & Wu, Y. (in-press). Instructional Design Issues in a Distributed Collaborative Engineering Design (CED) Instructional Environment, Quarterly Review of Distance Education.
- Gogus, A., Koszalka, T., & Spector, J.M. (2008). Assessing conceptual representations of ill-defined problems. Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning. 6, (4)
- Akdemir, O., & Koszalka, T. (2008). Investigating the relationships among instructional strategies and learning styles in online environments. Computers and Education. 50, 1451-1461.
- Spector, J.M., Dennen, V.P., & Koszalka, T. (2006). Causal maps, mental models and assessing acquisition of expertise. Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning, 3, 167-183.
- Song, H., Grabowski, B., Koszalka, T., & Harkness, W. (2006). Patterns of instructional design factors prompting reflective thinking in middle school and college level problem-based learning environments. Instructional Science, 34(1), 63-87.
- Song, H., Koszalka, T., & Grabowski, B. (2005). Exploring instructional design factors prompting reflective thinking in young adolescents. Canadian Journal of Learning and Technology. 31 (2), 49-68.
- Spector, J. M., Dennen, V. P., Koszalka, T. A. (2005). Causal maps, mental models and assessing acquisition of expertise. Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning, Vol. 3.
- Koszalka, T., Grabowski, B., & Darling, N. (2005). Predictive relationships between web and human resource use and middle school students’ interest in science careers: An exploratory analysis. Journal of Career Development. 31(3), 169-182.
- Koszalka, T. & Ganesan, R. (2004). Designing Online Courses: A taxonomy to guide strategic use of features available in course management systems (CMS) in distance education. Distance Education, 25(2), 243-256.
Tiffany A. Koszalka